Tuesday, August 21, 2007

leadership

 
Yesterday I discussed my desire to teach and how I feel the Lord is leading me to grow in my faith through teaching.  This morning, I discovered why - leadership.
1 Timothy 3:1 This is a trustworthy saying: "If someone aspires to be an elder, he desires an honorable position." 2So an elder must be a man whose life is above reproach. He must be faithful to his wife. He must exercise self-control, live wisely, and have a good reputation. He must enjoy having guests in his home, and he must be able to teach.
God's purpose for us is to continue growing in our faith in Christ, and to lead others to begin (evangelism) and grow (discipleship) in their relationship with Christ because WE ARE HIS BODY!  This is why I am so pumped about our new evangelism and discipleship program at our church; we are implementing a systematic practice of sharing the Gospel and training Christians to be DISCIPLES OF CHRIST!
 
On a side note, I've questioned before whether or not it is appropriate to pray for a person's salvation.  I mean, if God has already chosen the elect, then it seems kind of futile to pray for someone to put their faith in Christ.  However, here I find scriptural support to pray for someone's salvation (and a powerful explanation of evangelism!):
1 Timothy 2:1 First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, 2 for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. 3This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, 4who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. 5For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time.
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for your Word that reveals You to me and that teaches me how to live.  Thank you that the Word came to earth in the person and life of the God-Man, Jesus the Christ.  Lord, thank you for continuing to work in my life to mold me more in to the image of Christ so that I may glorify YAHWEH, the one true God.  Thank you for involving me in your redemptive plan to save people from eternal separation from you.  Dear merciful Father, I beg you to have mercy on my friends Eric and Jim.  Lord, please open their eyes to the truth of the Good News of Jesus Christ, the only one who can reconcile sinful man to a holy God.  Lord, I pray that you will grow me into the evangelist, teacher, and leader you want me to be.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment