Thursday, July 3, 2008

consequences

2 Kings 17:3-23, 18:9-12, 17:24-41; Isaiah 5:1-30; 2 Kings 16:19-20; 2 Chronicles 28:26-27; 2 Kings 18:1-2; 2 Chronicles 29:1; 1 Chronicles 4:34-43

The general theme of this morning's reading is that the consequence of sin is death.  Death is bad for two reasons.  First, it hurts us (we, the people who sin, which includes every human except Christ), but that is a lame reason why Death is bad compared to the second reason why Death is bad.  Sin is very bad because death separates us from God who is life.  The meaning of God's name "LORD" or "YAHWEH" includes the concept of "Self-Existing One" or "Author of everything that is living because He is Life itself".

So, when the Israelites drifted away from God, the consequence was that they got smashed by brutal neighboring pagan empires.  Bummer.  That hurts.  But what hurts worse is how they were separated from the source of life.  They exchanged True Abundant Life with Yahweh for fake defeated existence with idols.  How tragic.

Of course, Scripture teaches us that the Israelites are a warning to us.  So the application is to figure out how I'm trading the opportunity of abundant life with Christ for worthless existence that is sinful and results in death (separation from God, who is Life).

The ladies in our Bible Life group at church have a book study on Wednesday mornings during the summer focused on how to be a Mary in a Martha world.  I think this is similar to something that I struggle with.  I want to do so much, and I want to accomplish things, but in a way I am trading abundant Christ-Centered worship and Life (like Mary) for a bunch of business that makes me tired, frustrated, and defeated (like Martha).  Oh that I may shift my focus off of my self (flesh) and onto Christ (Spirit).

Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for your Word that speaks truth.  Thank you for the picture of the Israelites and the warning not to loose the priority of my relationship with you above all else.  Lord, I want my heart to be completely and totally devoted to you only - no others.  I want to love you with all of my heart, mind, soul, and strength.  I know it is weak when I say this, but I love you.  I want to love you more.  Please grow my love for you.  May I love you so much that my perspective of every other aspect of my life is according to your Holy perspective.  I ask this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment