Monday, July 21, 2008

long week

Isaiah 56-60

I attended a conference in Florida from Sunday through Thursday, and then Friday through yesterday we attended a family reunion at my grandparents' house.  The conference was very helpful to me professionally (technical insight and business contacts).  The reunion was nice; it was great to see my family.

I've been thinking recently about what it means to love the Lord with all of my heart, mind, soul, and strength.  In one of the books I am reading, the author encouraged Christians to grow and be disciplined in each of these four aspects (as Christ grew in wisdom, stature, and favor with God and man): intellectual, physical, spiritual, and social.  I think these match with the aspects of our love toward God. 

At the conference this past week, one of the men I met didn't eat his dessert, and when I asked him about it, he said simply, "You don't have to eat everything available to you; nor should you."  He then went on to say that as we age and our metabolism slows, we need to consistently eat less and less so that we can stay fit.  Indeed, I need to be disciplined about exercising regularly (i.e., multiple times per week) and being strategic about what I eat.  I simply cant eat like I could in high school.  I think this will help me grow physically.

At the reunion, I was talking to my cousin's husband (who also teaches Bible study), and I posed this question, "Does it make any difference for me to pray that God will solve world thirst and world hunger?"  He replied, "God certainly cares about those people who don't have water and food, but perhaps a more specific prayer would be, 'God, please use me to help a certain people group gain reliable drinking water and sustainable food supply.  Please lead me to them and give me the opportunity to help them.' "  So, that's what I'm going to start praying.  I think this will help me grow socially.

Of course, reading my Bible every day helps me grow spiritually, and I love some of the verses from my reading this morning:

56:1 This is what the Lord says:
   "Be just and fair to all.
      Do what is right and good,
   for I am coming soon to rescue you
      and to display my righteousness among you.
 2 Blessed are all those
      who are careful to do this.
   Blessed are those who honor my Sabbath days of rest
      and keep themselves from doing wrong.

57:15 The high and lofty one who lives in eternity,
      the Holy One, says this:
   "I live in the high and holy place
      with those whose spirits are contrite and humble.
   I restore the crushed spirit of the humble
      and revive the courage of those with repentant hearts.

58:6 "No, this is the kind of fasting I want:
   Free those who are wrongly imprisoned;
      lighten the burden of those who work for you.
   Let the oppressed go free,
      and remove the chains that bind people.
 7 Share your food with the hungry,
      and give shelter to the homeless.
   Give clothes to those who need them,
      and do not hide from relatives who need your help.
 8 "Then your salvation will come like the dawn,
      and your wounds will quickly heal.
   Your godliness will lead you forward,
      and the glory of the Lord will protect you from behind.
 9 Then when you call, the Lord will answer.
      'Yes, I am here,' he will quickly reply.

60:1 "Arise, Jerusalem! Let your light shine for all to see.
      For the glory of the Lord rises to shine on you. ...
 19 "No longer will you need the sun to shine by day,
      nor the moon to give its light by night,
   for the Lord your God will be your everlasting light,
      and your God will be your glory.
 20 Your sun will never set;
      your moon will not go down.


Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for growing me.  Lord, I want to love you with all of my heart, mind, soul, and strength.  Please help me be physically disciplined that I would honor you.  Lord, please use me to minister to a people group that lacks clean drinking water.  Father, please help rise and shine and reflect your glory.  I give you this day, and I ask you to accomplish your will.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment