Thursday, July 24, 2008

humility and purpose


Z 2:3 Seek the LORD, all you humble of the land,
       you who do what he commands.
       Seek righteousness, seek humility;
       perhaps you will be sheltered
       on the day of the LORD's anger.

Z 3:12 But I will leave within you
       the meek and humble,
       who trust in the name of the LORD. ...
   17 The LORD your God is with you,
       he is mighty to save.
       He will take great delight in you,
       he will quiet you with his love,
       he will rejoice over you with singing."

J 1:4 The word of the LORD came to me, saying,
     5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
       before you were born I set you apart;
       I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."

You have to be careful about plucking a verse out of context, interpreting, and inappropriately applying it to yourself or someone else.  So, in the light of the whole Bible, I think Jeremiah 1:4 can be applied to every believer (through Christ we are prophets, priests, and kings).  From Zephaniah, we see that humility in us is desired by God.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, I ask that you give me humility.  Father, I know that you are the giver of every good thing, that I am only capable of evil, but that your Holy Spirit is working through me to accomplish your good will through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ.  Father, I beg you to give me clear direction on how you will use me to reach the nations with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  I pray in His precious Name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment