Tuesday, July 8, 2008

simplicity

Micah 4:1-7:20

There are three chunks of Scripture from today's reading that really demonstrate the simplicity of a relationship with God.  Like Sunday's messages that "the righteous will live by faith" and to "offer your bodies as a living sacrifices", these passages conceptualize our life in Christ:

6:6 With what shall I come before the LORD
       and bow down before the exalted God?
       Shall I come before him with burnt offerings,
       with calves a year old?
 7 Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams,
       with ten thousand rivers of oil?
       Shall I offer my firstborn for my transgression,
       the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?
 8 He has showed you, O man, what is good.
       And what does the LORD require of you?
       To act justly and to love mercy
       and to walk humbly with your God.

7:7 But as for me, I watch in hope for the LORD,
       I wait for God my Savior;
       my God will hear me.
 8 Do not gloat over me, my enemy!
       Though I have fallen, I will rise.
       Though I sit in darkness,
       the LORD will be my light.
 9 Because I have sinned against him,
       I will bear the LORD's wrath,
       until he pleads my case
       and establishes my right.
       He will bring me out into the light;
       I will see his righteousness.
 ...
 18 Who is a God like you,
       who pardons sin and forgives the transgression
       of the remnant of his inheritance?
       You do not stay angry forever
       but delight to show mercy.
 19 You will again have compassion on us;
       you will tread our sins underfoot
       and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea.
 20 You will be true to Jacob,
       and show mercy to Abraham,
       as you pledged on oath to our fathers
       in days long ago.


I am sinful and deserving of wrath, but He is merciful.  In Christ, He has hurled all our iniquities into the depths of the sea.  He is faithful and true to His promises.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, please shine on me the light of your righteousness.  Please cleanse me of pride, selfishness, and lust.  Father, I desire to be holy like you are holy - to honor you.  Lord, I want to offer my body as a sacrifice.  Please show me how.  I want to act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with you, but I can't do that on my own.  My natural self desires sin.  Oh Jesus, I need you to live your perfect, obedient life through me.  May I be crucified with Christ today that I may die to myself and Christ may live in my place.  I ask this in the name of the one who tread my sins underfoot and conquered the enemy.  His name is Jesus Christ, and He is my master and friend!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment