Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Josiah - "You're killin' me, Smalls"

Psalm 81; Jeremiah 47-48; 2 Kings 23:29-30; 2 Chronicles 35:20-36:1

Josiah pursued God like a stud, and then he made a knuckleheaded move to end his life (2 Chron. 35):

20 After all this, when Josiah had set the temple in order, Neco king of Egypt went up to fight at Carchemish on the Euphrates, and Josiah marched out to meet him in battle. 21 But Neco sent messengers to him, saying, "What quarrel is there between you and me, O king of Judah? It is not you I am attacking at this time, but the house with which I am at war. God has told me to hurry; so stop opposing God, who is with me, or he will destroy you."

 22 Josiah, however, would not turn away from him, but disguised himself to engage him in battle. He would not listen to what Neco had said at God's command but went to fight him on the plain of Megiddo.

 23 Archers shot King Josiah, and he told his officers, "Take me away; I am badly wounded." 24 So they took him out of his chariot, put him in the other chariot he had and brought him to Jerusalem, where he died. He was buried in the tombs of his fathers, and all Judah and Jerusalem mourned for him.

The king of Egypt attacked a (pagan) Hittite city, and it appears that Josiah rashly jumped in the middle of it - against strong warning, and to his demise - to which I respond, "You're killin' me, Smalls."  (i.e., "You should know better.")

Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for the righteous example of Josiah and how he pursued you in obedience and led the people in revival.  I pray that I will learn from Josiah's mistake and not jump into a situation where you have not called me.  I want to do your will and not my own.  I pray that you will guide me and lead me along your path of righteousness.  I ask in the name of your Obedient Son, Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment