Monday, July 28, 2008

Josiah was a hoss!

Nahum 1-3; 2 Kings 23; 2 Chronicles 35

This is the mnemonic device that I will use to remember the content of the book of Nahum:  Nahum prophesied against Nineveh.

Josiah went around and tore down all of the "high places" and any altar other than the one to Yahweh at the temple in Jerusalem.  He led the people in a re-dedication to the Covenant with Yahweh, and he led the people in a Passover celebration like no other king in history.  I think 2 Kings 23:25 is the key:

25 Neither before nor after Josiah was there a king like him who turned to the LORD as he did—with all his heart and with all his soul and with all his strength, in accordance with all the Law of Moses.

It all goes back to the condition of the heart.  The consequence of a pursuing heart is right living and leading others to the same.  This is what I want to be the core of my life, beginning with myself, then my wife, then my children, then my family and friends, then the nations.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, please turn my heart to you this morning and every morning.  I pray that I will be devoted in seeking you - not turning to the right or to the left.  Father, I pray that I will seek you and lead others to pursuit and right living like King Josiah.  Thank you for his example; I ask you to use me like you used him - for your glory!  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ, my Good Master.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment