Tuesday, July 1, 2008

religion

Hosea 6:6 For I desire mercy, not sacrifice,
       and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings.
 Jesus busted the Pharisees with this one.  We get so stinking religious - so caught up in what we think is right.  We get so comfortable with our little network of friends, our routine of pretending to interact with God.  Like Travis said at prayer breakfast, "We do all of this religious stuff and we essentially think that we control God because of the stuff we do for Him."  That's what self-righteous religion does, it makes us think we are in control.  There's that dang pride again - it just keeps coming back. It's so pervasive.
James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
So, what was God's response to the Israelites (and Judah later)?  He let them go through tough times to get their focus off of themselves.  He is willing for us to suffer for the sake of us truly knowing Him.  He will discipline us like children to lead us to a proper understanding of His desire for us to have a humble relationship with Him.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I pray that you will expose my pride to me.  Lead me to repentance.  I know that I am prideful, but I don't know how bad it is.  Please help me be humble so that I can know you.  Lord, I don't want to be religious!  Please help me love you and seek you above all else and enjoy the abundant life that you've given me through Christ.  I pray that I will demonstrate pure religion by loving others as myself, by caring for those in distress and keeping myself pure for you - to honor your holiness.   I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment