Wednesday, October 29, 2008

hypocrisy

Mark 12:18-27, Matthew 22:23-33, Luke 20:27-40, Mark 12:28-34, Matthew 22:34-40, Luke 10:25-37, Mark 12:35-37, Matthew 22:41-46, Luke 20:41-44, Matthew 23:1-36, Mark 12:37-40, Luke 20:45-47

Mark 12:29Jesus answered, "The foremost is, 'HEAR, O ISRAEL! THE LORD OUR GOD IS ONE LORD; 30AND YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH.' 31"The second is this, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.' There is no other commandment greater than these." (NASB)

Life is not about what you do, it is about the attitude, motive, and intention of your heart.  My desire is to worship God with every action, every thought, every moment, every breath of my life.  Consequently, I will naturally be the neighbor to the one who is in need (Luke 10:29-37, the good Samaritan). 
.
Tragically, the Pharisees and the teachers of the Law were especially heinous in their hypocrisy:

Matthew 23:23"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier provisions of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness; but these are the things you should have done without neglecting the others. 24"You blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel! (NASB)

There are a lot of modern-day Pharisees in our "churches" in America; I hope I am not one of them.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I pray that I will live a genuine Spirit-filled life.  I pray that the centrality and totality of my existence will be worshiping you passionately.  I pray that I will never profess to know you but deny you by the way I live.  Rather, I pray that my actions will cement your presence in my life and others around me.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment