Tuesday, October 28, 2008

discipleship

Mark 11:27-33, Matthew 21:23-27, Luke 20:1-8, Matthew 21:28-32, Mark 12:1-12, Matthew 21:33-46, Luke 20:9-19, Matthew 22:1-14, Mark 12:13-17, Matthew 22:15-22, Luke 20:20-26

Yesterday I had a great visit with one of the pastors of our church. I shared with him my frustration with time management and trying to find the balance in how much I invest towards the various relationships and responsibilities in my life. He challenged me to a deeper level of discipleship - not simply investing in other people to help them grow in Christ, but to invest in others with the goal that they will in turn invest in others. This is the concept of discipleship expressed in Paul's second letter to Timothy (chapter 2):
1You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. 2And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable men who will also be qualified to teach others.
And this really falls in line with the heart of one of the other pastors at our church.

Ultimately, my objectives in in discipleship are: 1) replicate Christ within myself through fellowship with the Body, and 2) replicate Christ within other Brothers and Sisters in such a way that they will ingest these objectives so that, 3) the Body of Christ will be made whole and holy, with each member exercising his/her gifts according to the Holy Spirit, 4) to the glory of God.

Thinking of discipleship in this context is not draining, it is energizing and empowering! A sense of eternal significance gives meaning and motivation to my daily activities and helps me discern how I may live this day in a way that is profitable for the Kingdom.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for encouragement that comes through members of the body of Christ. Thank you for pastors who care about discipleship and maturing individuals and community into Christ. Lord, will you please empower us with your Holy Spirit; lead us away from unproductive activities, and lead us into profitable stewardship of time, money, and relationships. May we bring all under the Lordship of Jesus Christ. I pray this in His name, the name of the Son.

No comments:

Post a Comment