Monday, October 6, 2008

speck/plank

Matthew 5:21-7:29

I used to think that Jesus's Sermon on the Mount was kind of short, but now I realize that while it might not be that long, it's packed so deep that it will take me the rest of my life to understand it.

The one that jumped out at me the most this morning was:

3"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

A couple of months ago, I told a Brother that I thought some of the things he had said were inappropriate.  Man, was that a case study for this verse.  I'm sure I say inappropriate stuff, too, I'm just not as sensitive to it.  Fortunately, this was to a more mature Brother, so he showed me grace when I apologized.  I'm really thankful that I didn't make this mistake with another one of the Brothers that I am in accountability with - it was hurtful the way I went about it.  I have a lot to learn about getting my own stuff straight and then speaking the truth IN LOVE!

Love Dare - pray for your spouse.  Wow, how simple is that, yet how many times to I take her for granted instead of investing time in prayer for her?

Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for the teachings of Christ that instruct me on practical living.  Lord, please help me be a humble man; I am so selfish and conceited.  I need to know you better so that I won't think so highly of myself.  Please help me put other people before me.  Help me know what to pray for my wife.  Lord, I pray that your will be accomplished in my life today.  I ask these things in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment