Thursday, October 16, 2008

who is Jesus, and what should I do about it?

Mark 8:11-13, Matthew 16:1-4, Mark 8:14-21, Matthew 16:5-12, Mark 8:22-30, Matthew 16:13-20, Luke 9:18-21, John 6:60-71, Mark 8:31-9:1, Matthew 16:21-28, Luke 9:22-27

The Pharisees were jealous because Jesus was gaining popularity, and Jesus certainly didn't fit their cookie cutter mold of religious hypocrisy, so they interrogated him:

Mark 8:11...To test him, they asked him for a sign from heaven. 12He sighed deeply and said, "Why does this generation ask for a miraculous sign? I tell you the truth, no sign will be given to it."

My question is, what about all of the miracles Jesus had already performed in front of them (e.g., the guy with the crippled hand on the Sabbath)?

Jesus asked his disciples,

Matthew 16:15"But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?" 16Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."

After some tough teaching, a lot of followers of Jesus left, so Jesus turned to the Twelve and asked,

John 6:67"You do not want to leave too, do you?" Jesus asked the Twelve. 68Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69We believe and know that you are the Holy One of God."

After Jesus rebuked Peter for scolding Jesus about His "crazy" plan to die,

Luke 9:23Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. 24For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it.

Love Dare - lust is a lie, it's a counterfeit for love, it is a parasite.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, I confess that Jesus of Nazareth is the Messiah; He is the Christ.  I know that Christ has saved me from eternal damnation to an everlasting life, and I want Jesus Christ to be my Lord, my Master, at this very moment and every moment that follows.  Lord, I want to come after Christ; please help me deny the lustful flesh within me, to take up completely the death of me, and to keep on following Christ every day.  I pray this in the name of Jesus who is the Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment