Thursday, October 30, 2008

living with the end in mind

Matthew 23:37-39, Mark 12:41-44, Luke 21:1-4, Mark 13:1-23, Matthew 24:1-28, Luke 21:5-24

This upcoming Sunday we are going to study financial stewardship.  Here we find example of what stewardship looks like when Christ is Lord:

Luke 21:1As he looked up, Jesus saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. 2He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. 3"I tell you the truth," he said, "this poor widow has put in more than all the others. 4All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on."

Faith in Christ to provide and sustain - faith with the totality of our security.  Most Americans give out of wealth, but Christ calls us to give out of sacrifice.  At what point will we trust Christ and desire Him and His Kingdom more than the American Dream?

Christ prophesied that the end will be messy.  The Lord will sovereignly use these troubling times to reveal true discipleship - He will use persecution as a platform for preaching the Gospel and as a process for refining His disciples:

Luke 21:12"But before all this, they will lay hands on you and persecute you. They will deliver you to synagogues and prisons, and you will be brought before kings and governors, and all on account of my name. 13This will result in your being witnesses to them. 14But make up your mind not to worry beforehand how you will defend yourselves. 15For I will give you words and wisdom that none of your adversaries will be able to resist or contradict. 16You will be betrayed even by parents, brothers, relatives and friends, and they will put some of you to death. 17All men will hate you because of me. 18But not a hair of your head will perish. 19By standing firm you will gain life.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, please help me treasure Christ above all!  I pray that I will love you with all of my heart, mind, soul, and strength today.  I pray that I will crucify my flesh today so that the power of the Holy Spirit may resurrect the life of Jesus Christ.  I pray that you will truly be Lord of my life so that I will honor you as a good steward of the resources you've placed in my care - especially cash.  I pray that I will trust you with all of me, that I will find no security in money.  I pray that you will give me grace for refining trials; please give me opportunities to share the Gospel and please use these trials to destroy my flesh and raise up Jesus Christ inside me.  I pray this in His Holy Name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment