Friday, October 31, 2008

I wish we'd all been ready

Mark 13:24:31, Luke 21:25-38, Mark 13:32-37, Matthew 24:36-51, Matthew 25:1-30, Luke 19:11-27

Luke 21:27At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 28When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near. ... 34Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with dissipation, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you unexpectedly like a trap.

Matthew 24:44So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him. 45"Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? 46It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns. 47I tell you the truth, he will put him in charge of all his possessions. 48But suppose that servant is wicked and says to himself, 'My master is staying away a long time,' 49and he then begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards. 50The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. 51He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

I am working to prepare myself for Christ's return (which could be any moment from the looks of things).  One aspect by which our faithfulness will be evaluated is financial responsibility.  Matthew 25:14-30 has some very strong implications for how we should manage the financial resources that God has placed in our care:

26"His master replied, 'You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed? 27Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest. 28" 'Take the talent from him and give it to the one who has the ten talents. 29For everyone who has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. 30And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'

I'm don't know if the third "servant" was really a believer or not, but I do know that bad stuff happened, and it was associated with his fiscal responsibility.  I know I sure don't want to bury any treasure that God has placed me in charge of;  I need to use all to advance His Kingdom.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, I pray that my mind and motives will be sobered by the reality of Christ's eminent return.  I pray that I will be a faithful steward who will give you an abundant return on the resources that you have put me in charge of.  I pray that you will gain Lordship over every action; I pray that I will joyfully submit to your will.  I pray that I will worship you today with my life - not my life, but yours.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment