Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Bread from Heaven

Mark 16:9-20, Acts 1:1-2:47

I've always been impressed with how Peter knew that they should replace the empty spot left by Judas Iscariot.  The Holy Spirit brought seemingly obscure Scriptures to bear on the situation.  My Brother Ari says, "The language that the Holy Spirit speaks to us is called 'Bible'."  It is the Living Word, alive in the hearts of those who Believe.

I am growing to appreciate the Lord's Supper more and more.  I don't understand it, but I know that it is important.  Sadly, for fear of over-emphasis or religious routine, I think our congregation errs with too little celebration for Communion.  There is something sweet about the celebration of Christ's infinite work in the simplicity of bread and wine.  I think this simplicity is especially important in our society.  It is easy for church members to get lost in the machinery of a myriad of Bible studies and other activities, but we find substance in the organic simplicity of the bread and wine.  This has become evident to me as I read Acts 2:

42They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. 43Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. 44All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. 46Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for communicating your love to me through your Holy Spirit and your Holy Word, which is Jesus Christ.  Thank you for the shed blood and broken body of Jesus Christ which gives us justification before the Holy Judge and life with the Creator.  Lord, please lead me to a greater appreciation of the celebration of the Lord's Supper.  I pray that I will neither neglect it nor let it be undermined by religion.  I pray that I will always celebrate Communion in a way that honors you and edifies the Body.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ, who is the Bread from Heaven.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment