Thursday, November 6, 2008

stinking religion

Matthew 27:1-10, Luke 23:1-12, Mark 15:1-5, Matthew 27:11-14, John 18:28-38

Matthew 27:6The chief priests picked up the coins and said, "It is against the law to put this into the treasury, since it is blood money."

They knew that they had paid to have Jesus killed (which is wrong), but they were so religious that they didn't put the money in the treasury.

John 18:28Then the Jews led Jesus from Caiaphas to the palace of the Roman governor. By now it was early morning, and to avoid ceremonial uncleanness the Jews did not enter the palace; they wanted to be able to eat the Passover.

They didn't want to compromise their religious status by entering the place so they could participate in their religious ceremony.  It is especially tragic that the True Passover Lamb was right there in front of them, but they were so stuck in their religion that they missed the God of the universe.

I heard a preacher say that there are two principal enemies of the Gospel: idolatry and religion.  Both are missing true worship which is simply communicating to God that we love Him and obeying Him to discover in Him our ultimate satisfaction.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, would you please give me life today?  Lord, please fill me with your Holy Spirit, and lead me to follow you.  I pray that heart will desire you more than anything in this world.  Lord, please keep me from slipping into empty religious practice without your presence.  I pray that my life will be a sweet song of obedient worship to you.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment