Monday, November 24, 2008

manna

2 Thessalonians 2:1-3:18, Acts 18:18-19:41

I am trying to finish the first draft of my dissertation proposal by tomorrow evening, so I'm a little stressed right now.  I keep praying, "Lord Jesus, please help me."  I know that He is helping me, but I still feel tired, frazzled, and stressed.  I know that I have been very productive this past week, and I know that it is because people are praying for me and God is answering their prayers.

Here are some encouraging verses (manna) that I need to chew on today:

2:16May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, 17encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word.

3:5May the Lord direct your hearts into God's love and Christ's perseverance. ... 16Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. ... 18The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all.

I am also reminded of the following passage:

Phil. 4:6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for your Holy Word that is the manna of Jesus Christ.  Thank you for encouraging me and lifting me up on the eternal rock of your Word.  Thank you for the beautiful morning.  Thank you for good health and a place to live.  Thank you for giving me a reliable job and a great education.  Thank you letting me grow up in a wonderful family that loves me.  Thank you for my sweet wife who loves and respects me.  Thank you for friends who care about me.  Thank you for this intellectual challenge that you have provided.  Thank you for the professional desires that you have placed within me.  Thank you for the gifts and talents that you have blessed me with so that I can bless you and other people.  Thank you for a good adviser and office mate who are very helpful.  Thank you for challenges that force me to rely on you and not on myself.  Lord, please help me honor you with the way I live.  I pray that I will demonstrate a righteous balance between working diligently towards my responsibilities and knowing my limits.  Lord, please keep me pure in mind and devoted to you.  I pray that my life will be a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to you.  I ask this in the name of Jesus Christ, the perfect sacrifice.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment