Monday, November 17, 2008

James

James 4:1-5:20, Acts 11:19-12:25

These are some of my favorite verses:

James 4:4You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. 5Or do you think Scripture says without reason that the spirit he caused to live in us envies intensely? 6But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says:
   "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."
7
Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.

I did a little digging and found that the book of James was probably written by James the half-brother of Christ.

Yesterday in our Bible study, we talked about suffering for the name of Jesus Christ (John 12:23-33 and 1 Peter 4).  This morning, I was impressed with how the Lord chose to allow James, the brother of John, to die by the sword for his faith in Christ, yet God delivered Peter from death (Acts 12).

Prayer
Heavenly Father, I pray that you will use me as you please.  God, I pray that I will hate this evil world and love you.  I pray that my spirit will be in harmony with your Holy Spirit.  Please give me grace; I can't do anything on my own.  Lord, please help me humble myself before you and submit to your will.  Show me how to resist the devil.  I pray that you will teach me how to draw near to you.  Father, please draw near to me.  Lord, please purify me and wash me with your Word.  I am nothing apart from you, please fill me with your ZOE life.  May I not be double-minded; please give me discernment.  I pray this according to your Word and in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment