Friday, November 21, 2008

grace

Acts 15:1-16:40

Religious people naturally add restrictions, caveats, corollaries, and other rules and regulations to grace.  It is amazing how fast I can slip into the routine of religion.  It's so easy - I just stop investing, and the natural consequence is mindless routine.  The truth is, Grace is Grace.  It comes through Faith in Jesus Christ.

15:5Then some of the believers who belonged to the party of the Pharisees stood up and said, "The Gentiles must be circumcised and required to obey the law of Moses." ... 7After much discussion, Peter got up and addressed them: ... 11No! We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved, just as they are."

16:13On the Sabbath we went outside the city gate to the river, where we expected to find a place of prayer. We sat down and began to speak to the women who had gathered there.
14One of those listening was a woman named Lydia, a dealer in purple cloth from the city of Thyatira, who was a worshiper of God. The Lord opened her heart to respond to Paul's message.

Paul and Silas's experience in the prison challenges me to be singing praises to God all of the time.  I doubt they spontaneously began singing when they were in the prison; I think it was a regular practice for them, so it didn't matter if they were locked up in the stocks inside a jail cell - they simply praised God.  This is possible because God never changes - He is always good.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for the grace you have shown me through Jesus Christ.  Lord, I pray that you will put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God.  Lord, as you opened up Lydia's heart, I pray that you will open up my heart to trust you more.  I also pray that you will open the hearts of the people I come in contact with that I will be bold in sharing the Gospel, and that the joy of my salvation will be evidence of your reality.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment