Thursday, November 13, 2008

persecution and suffering

Acts 5:17-7:53

5:17Then the high priest and all his associates, who were members of the party of the Sadducees, were filled with jealousy. 18They arrested the apostles and put them in the public jail. 19But during the night an angel of the Lord opened the doors of the jail and brought them out. 20"Go, stand in the temple courts," he said, "and tell the people the full message of this new life." ...  40[Gamaliel's] speech persuaded them. They called the apostles in and had them flogged. Then they ordered them not to speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go.  41The apostles left the Sanhedrin, rejoicing because they had been counted worthy of suffering disgrace for the Name. 42Day after day, in the temple courts and from house to house, they never stopped teaching and proclaiming the good news that Jesus is the Christ.

6:8Now Stephen, a man full of God's grace and power, did great wonders and miraculous signs among the people. ... 12So they stirred up the people and the elders and the teachers of the law. They seized Stephen and brought him before the Sanhedrin. ... 15All who were sitting in the Sanhedrin looked intently at Stephen, and they saw that his face was like the face of an angel.

Observations:
  1. Persecution and suffering are natural extensions of living a Spirit-led, Spirit-filled life.
  2. We should rejoice at the opportunity to suffer for the Name of Jesus Christ.
  3. Our perseverance in proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus Christ in spite of persecution validates to the world that He is real and alive.
  4. Proclaiming the Gospel should occur in public/civic/social settings as well as private community.
  5. It is through persecution and suffering that the Person of God is able to shine through us.
I've been trying to think about how this would look in my practical daily experience.  I know I could be a lot more bold with my friends at school.  I need to pray for opportunities, and seek the Holy Spirit's prompting to share with my friends.  The thing is, it's not about who is better or worse or who is right or wrong.  It's about being forgiven and restored to a relationship with God.  And if God is really that amazing, then why is my life not DRAMATICALLY and RADICALLY different?

Prayer
Heavenly Father, please fill me with your Life so that I am simply sharing with others out of the abundance of my experience with you.  Lord, please give me boldness and opportunities to share your Love with others.  Please help me walk with you according to the Spirit, crucifying the flesh.  I pray this in the Name of Jesus Christ, for which you lead me to suffer.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment