Monday, November 16, 2009

majesty

Luke 3, 2 Peter 1

I love it when my two chapters pair up like this:

Lk 3:21 One day when the crowds were being baptized, Jesus himself was baptized. As he was praying, the heavens opened, 22 and the Holy Spirit, in bodily form, descended on him like a dove. And a voice from heaven said, "You are my dearly loved Son, and you bring me great joy."

2 Pet. 1:16 For we were not making up clever stories when we told you about the powerful coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. We saw his majestic splendor with our own eyes 17 when he received honor and glory from God the Father. The voice from the majestic glory of God said to him, "This is my dearly loved Son, who brings me great joy." 18We ourselves heard that voice from heaven when we were with him on the holy mountain.


What struck me was "his majestic splendor".  I wish I would focus on the majestic splendor of Christ instead of myself and the complications of this world.

I applied for three faculty positions today: Penn State, UT El Paso, and Clemson.  I think I will apply to some others within a month or so.  I pray that the Lord will lead us where He wants us and that we will be obedient to follow Him.

The Lord put me on the bus with Herb this morning.  We had another great conversation about Jesus.  Herb just finished reading Matthew, and he didn't like all of the stuff about judgment.  He said it seemed like Jesus was threatening everyone with hell.  I told him that the default state for all of us is going to hell because we are all sinful.  I told him that the Perfect Justice and Holiness of God is reconciled with His Infinite Mercy in the person and work of Jesus Christ.  Herb said that he liked the Old Testament, but he doesn't know what to think about the New Testament.  I suggested that he read the book of Hebrews next because it refers so much to the Old Testament (and because it clearly explains the atonement of Christ!).

Heavenly Father, I praise you.  Lord Jesus, I praise you.  Holy Spirit, I praise you.  You are glorious and majestic, and your love never ends.  Please draw me close to you, speak to me, and lead me to follow you.  Lord, I love you.  Please pour out your love on Herb and bring him to faith in Jesus Christ.  Lord, please continue to give me opportunity to share the love and light of Jesus Christ.  I pray in the majestic name of Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment