Thursday, August 16, 2012

living sacrifice

Romans 12:1-8

1 And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him.Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

We drove up to Cloudcroft on Tuesday afternoon to visit my aunt, uncle, and cousins, and we drove back last night.  It was only a day away, but it was very refreshing to get out of the heat, see and smell some trees, and spend time with family.  We took a good hike yesterday morning, and I was reminded how important it is to practice everyday solitude.  At the end of the hike, I was walking with Beau, and everyone else had gone on ahead.  It was so peaceful, and I think this is like walking with the Lord, spiritually.

I have been "so busy" with work recently that I have convinced myself many times over the past few weeks to save time by not going for a walk/run in the mornings.  And I can tell that I have got my priorities out of line.  So, I took a good walk this morning, in spite of a very long to-do list.  But I know that this practice of connecting with the Lord in the morning is what allows me to stay focused on Him throughout the day and every day as the weeks go on.

It is a living sacrifice.  A dead sacrifice would be easy.  But a living sacrifice requires a daily re-commitment to His will.  And I think it starts with solitude with Him.  In that solitude, He transforms us by renewing our minds and focusing on His kingdom.

Heavenly Father, I love you, and I want to walk with you.  I am nothing apart from you, and I don't want to walk apart from you.  Lord Jesus, you are the vine, and I want to re-connect with you every day and abide in you all day.  Please abide in me.  Shine your love, light, and life through me.  May I be a useful vessel for you to dispense yourself into others.  I ask in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment