Sunday, January 17, 2016

glory

Brandi and I are reading What on Earth is Glory? by Paul Manwaring, and the context that Manwaring provides for the discussion of glory in the outset of the book are these two passages:

Isaiah 6:1 In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord, high and exalted, seated on a throne; and the train of his robe filled the temple. 2 Above him were seraphim, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. 3 And they were calling to one another:
"Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty;
the whole earth is full of his glory."
 
Hab. 2:14 For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord
     as the waters cover the sea.

First, God's glory is already embedded and on display throughout creation (Isaiah 6:3, Rom. 1:20).  Second, there is a goal towards the knowledge of the glory of the Lord (Hab. 2:14).

I have thought before about explaining or defining glory, and what I came up with was "radiance of magnificence or lordship". Manwaring provides a definition of glory that is more operational than my definition:

God's glory is the result of God expressing Himself.  In other words, everything He has made and does, and the attributes, nature, and power behind those actions, are His glory.

Glory is the eternal value that someone or something has because it reveals, points to, and reflects the attributes, nature, and power of God. 

It is encouraging to me to think about a general purpose of our lives to experience and express God, which is to experience and express His glory.

Heavenly Father, you are glorious, and your glory is on display throughout the universe.  You have made us in your likeness, and we are both image bearers to reflect your glory and vessels to dispense your presence.  I want to grow in revealing your glory to other people around me.  I want to be a more effective glory magnifier and transmitter. Holy Spirit, please grow me and use me.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, the revelation of God in humanity.

1 comment:

  1. Would like to know the author's thoughts on John 17.

    ReplyDelete