Wednesday, January 27, 2016

presence and blessing of the LORD

Gen. 39:2 The LORD was with Joseph so that he prospered, and he lived in the house of his Egyptian master. 3 When his master saw that the LORD was with him and that the Lord gave him success in everything he did, 4 Joseph found favor in his eyes and became his attendant. Potiphar put him in charge of his household,and he entrusted to his care everything he owned.  ... 20 Joseph's master took him and put him in prison, the place where the king's prisoners were confined.  But while Joseph was there in the prison, 21 the LORD was with him; he showed him kindness and granted him favor in the eyes of the prison warden. 22 So the warden put Joseph in charge of all those held in the prison, and he was made responsible for all that was done there. 23 The warden paid no attention to anything under Joseph's care, because the LORD was with Joseph and gave him success in whatever he did.

From the outside looking in, Joseph's situation went from bad to worse. Though God had given him a vision of leadership, he was sold into slavery, and then he was falsely accused and sent to prison.  In spite of two successive demotions, God was promoting him internally and developing Joseph's character and leadership capacity.

Joseph's experience is always a reminder to me to focus on the presence and blessing of the Lord, not on external circumstances.  Some would argue that this is easy for me to say at this point in my life since I have a wonderful family and a great job, but I think it is just as important to focus on the presence of the Lord and our reliance on Him in seasons of plenty.

Heavenly Father, thank you for providing for me and taking care of me.  I do believe that you have given me a missional-vocational calling, and I trust that you are currently developing character and leadership capacity in me in this season.  I trust that you will give me promotion according to your timing.  Lord Jesus, may I faithfully focus on abiding in you and not worrying about how to climb the ladder.  Holy Spirit, teach me how to grow in what you have put in my charge.  May I be a humble man of excellence, and may others see your anointing on my life, for your glory.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment