Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Spiritual inheritance and increase

Gen 32:9 Then Jacob prayed, "O God of my father Abraham, God of my father Isaac, Lord, you who said to me, 'Go back to your country and your relatives, and I will make you prosper,' 10 I am unworthy of all the kindness and faithfulness you have shown your servant. I had only my staff when I crossed this Jordan, but now I have become two camps. 11 Save me, I pray, from the hand of my brother Esau, for I am afraid he will come and attack me, and also the mothers with their children. 12 But you have said, 'I will surely make you prosper and will make your descendants like the sand of the sea, which cannot be counted.'"

Jacob spent 20 years hiding from his brother, and during that time, God showed grace to Jacob and blessed him with increase.  God didn't bless Jacob because of Jacob's righteousness; Jacob was pretty much a scoundrel.  But God revealed Himself to Jacob as Jacob was fleeing, and God revealed Himself to Jacob when He told him to return to his homeland.

I believe that God's promises to Jacob extend to us who are in Christ, because all of God's promises are fulfilled through Christ.  I want to believe God for spiritual inheritance and blessings of increase.

I think about where I was 15 years ago.  I was in college, with some sense of professional interest, but still trying to figure out who I am.  God blessed me with a wife, professional training, children, and five years as a professor.  I am so thankful for my family and vocation, and I am believing God to bless me with spiritual increase.  I want to focus on being a spiritual father to my children, and I want to be a spiritual father to spiritual children - I want to be intentional about making disciples of all nations.  And I am believing God to bless me with increase in my vocation - not physical/material wealth - but the blessing of doing good works which God has prepared in advance for me to do.

Heavenly Father, I praise you for your goodness.  You are a good, good Father, and I trust your goodness.  Thank you for your blessings in my life.  I am believing you for more.  Please increase my spiritual inheritance.  I want to be part of increasing your family to be as countless as sand on the seashore.  Lord Jesus, you are the fulfillment of all of God's promises, and I am in you.  Holy Spirit, please anoint me with your authority and power, and help me listen to your voice today.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment