Friday, January 15, 2016

chump "friends"

Job had some lame friends.  Sure, they sat with him in mourning for a while, but then what they said was incorrect and toxic.  Basically, they each assured Job that he had sinned and that God was punishing him.  Then, when Job tried to defend himself, they basically called him a liar and implied that he was going to get it even worse for trying to defend himself.  

But Elihu tops it off.  In previous blogs on Elihu's address and God's reply (eight years ago), I interpreted Job's statements as whining, and Elihu's address as somewhat on the mark. This morning, I don't think I agree with either of these interpretations.  I think if I was in Job's situation and knew that I had been righteous, then I would be asking God "Why?", also.  And with respect to Elihu, somehow I missed this statement that Elihu made about himself:

Be assured that my words are not false; one who has perfect knowledge is with you. (Job 36:4)

Wow.  I don't know if you can be any more audacious or self-righteous.  May I never be so arrogant.

May I never be such a chump "friend".

Heavenly Father, thank you for the account of Job, which shows us that we don't see the big picture, but you do.  Lord, please help me trust you, even when I don't understand.  And please, may I never act like I understand it all.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment