Friday, January 29, 2016

spiritual fathering

This first month in the Global Legacy Leadership Development Program, we have focused on God's ordained structure of the Kingdom of Heaven, and that government is family.  One of the primary ways that we can expand God's Kingdom on earth is by having a good relationship with our Heavenly Father.  Fundamentally, we must recognize that God is good, and we can trust Him.  He is like the father in the story of the prodigal son: 

Luke 15:20 So [the son] got up and went to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him. 21 The son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you.I am no longer worthy to be called your son.' 22 But the father said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate. 24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate.

Our Heavenly Father watches for you and runs to meet you. He restores your honor and glory by putting Christ's robe of righteousness over you. He restores your sonship authority by filling you and anointing you with the Holy Spirit. He puts sandals on your feet, which I assume were not bottom-of-the-line sandals, but probably nice, and therefore representing His desire to bless you with good things.  And He celebrates your return with the whole family.

Having a good relationship with our Heavenly Father is essential to us operating as fully empowered sons.  It also helps us have good relationships with other Brothers in Christ who serve as spiritual fathers by helping us mature in our relationship with our Heavenly Father.

I have had a number of people who have served as spiritual fathers to me, but recently, I have been especially appreciative of the spiritual fathering of my dad and my father-in-law.

Growing up, my dad told me that he wanted to have a good relationship with me.  He was intentional about asking me what I was thinking. And every morning before he went to work or before I went to school, my dad hugged me and told me that he loved me and that he was proud of me.  And he would frequently look me in the eye and ask, "Do you know that I love you?  Do you know that I am proud of you?"  He made sure that I knew his love.  When I was in primary or elementary school, I remember my dad telling me that he wanted to teach me everything he had learned before I graduated high school so that I could build on what he learned and I could go farther than he did.  I believe that these are the essence of spiritual fathering.  Our Heavenly Father wants to have a good relationship with us, and He wants to empower us to do great things (which He has prepared in advance for us to do).  I also remember how much my dad talked about evangelism and missions, and I think my dad demonstrated God's heart for people to know Him and have a relationship with Him.  I am so thankful for my earthly father being a spiritual father to me by emulating the Heavenly Father.

When I was in high school, my father-in-law led a weekly prayer and praise time for our small town on Saturday evenings.  We rotated where we met among several different congregations, and we sang praise songs and prayed for God to work in each of our congregations.  I think this experience was very helpful for me to see a big-picture of the Kingdom of God and appreciate Brotherhood in Christ across denominational boundaries.  I am thankful for my father-in-law being a spiritual father to me by helping me see a holistic Kingdom of Christ-followers.

I am encouraged to be intentional about being a spiritual father to my children.  I want to pay-it-forward by taking the spiritual foundation that I received and compound it to my children.

Heavenly Father, thank you for your kindness and love.  You are a good father.  Thank you for the examples of you that I have seen in my dad and father-in-law.  I want to be a good father to my children.  Please help me show them an accurate picture of you.  Please help me shepherd them into a relationship with you.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment