Saturday, February 23, 2008

festivals

 
Do you see a pattern here?
22:2 "... I am the Lord."
22:3 "... I am the Lord."
22:8 "... I am the Lord."
22:9 "... I am the Lord who makes [the priests] holy."
22:16 "... I am the Lord who makes [the priests] holy."
22:30 "... I am the Lord."
22:31 "You must faithfully keep all my commands by putting them into practice, for I am the Lord. 32 Do not bring shame on my holy name, for I will display my holiness among the people of Israel. I am the Lord who makes you holy. 33 It was I who rescued you from the land of Egypt, that I might be your God. I am the Lord."
After reading chapter 22, I came to the realization that holiness is not attained by a sincerely devoted human, but rather, holiness is received from Yahweh!  So, the efforts that I listed yesterday are a necessary condition for growth in holiness, but the sufficient condition is God's grace.
 
Another cool thing is the parallel between Leviticus 23 in the OT and John 18 through Acts 2 in the NT.  My friend Mike pointed this out to me a couple of days ago:
  1. Passover and Festival of Unleavened Bread -  Jesus's Crucifixion
  2. Festival of Firstfruits -  Jesus's Resurrection
  3. Festival of Harvest (50 days after Firstfruits) -  Holy Spirit indwelling Believers at Pentecost
Perhaps the remaining festivals have the following analogies:
  1. Festival of Trumpets -  Christ's return
  2. Day of Atonement -  Final Judgement
  3. Festival of Shelters -  eternal residence with God in Heaven
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for desiring me to be holy like you.  God, you are the definition of holiness.  Lord, I beg you to make me holy.  Please change the way I think and act so that you will be pleased with your good work in me.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment