Friday, February 22, 2008

holiness

 
The word "holy" appears 71 times in the book of Leviticus (NLT), and 13 of them appear in today's reading.  Here are some of the highlights:
19:2 ... You must be holy because I, the Lord your God, am holy.
20:7-8 So set yourselves apart to be holy, for I am the Lord your God.  Keep all my decrees by putting them into practice, for I am the Lord who makes you holy.
20:26 You must be holy because I, the Lord, am holy. I have set you apart from all other people to be my very own.
21:8 ... You must consider [the priests] holy because I, the Lord, am holy, and I make you holy.
21:15 "... for I am the Lord who makes him holy."
21:23 "... I am the Lord who makes them holy."
I had a great meeting with a Brother from our congregation last night.  Not only do we have similarities in vocation and leadership in small groups within our congregation, but we also share a passion for a balance between idealistic theology and the practical application thereof.  Thus, extending the previous paragraph of holiness quotes, I pose the question: "What does it mean to 'be holy'?"
 
Paul answers this question semi-practically in Phil. 1:9-11 (as my Brother Kyle pointed out last night):
9 I pray that your love will overflow more and more, and that you will keep on growing in knowledge and understanding. 10 For I want you to understand what really matters, so that you may live pure and blameless lives until the day of Christ's return. 11 May you always be filled with the fruit of your salvation—the righteous character produced in your life by Jesus Christ—for this will bring much glory and praise to God.
But, to be even more specific (and to practice what we discussed last night), I resolve, by God's infinite Grace, to
  1. not say anything derogatory about anyone or disrespectful to anyone
  2. not enjoy the viewing of anyone other than my wife
  3. (and this is the kicker) not to think of myself as better than other people because of any reason
And, if that is not specific enough, then I will apply the above principles to the following locations/situations, respectively:
  1. to my wife, to my parents, to my boss, to my friends
  2. while walking to the bus stop, while watching television, while surfing the web
  3. with my wife, with my parents, with my friends, with my Bible study group, with homeless people on the side of the road
Prayer
Heavenly Father, according to the riches of your Grace, may it be so.  May I be holy as you are holy; I beg you to make me holy.  I ask you in the name of the Holiest person ever, Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment