Wednesday, February 6, 2008

too much!

Exodus 13-15

There are so many parallels to Christ and the New Covenant in this passage; it's ridiculous!

Yahweh instituted two rituals in 13:1-14 of commemorating the "exodus," and I think they are connected in this way: the seven days of eating unleavened bread represents the perfect, sinless life of obedience of Christ, the Lamb that redeems the firstborn (i.e., Adam specifically, or man generally).

According to 14:4, Yahweh's purpose in stalling the Israelites between the desert and the Red Sea was "to display my glory through Pharaoh and his whole army. After this the Egyptians will know that I am the Lord!" Did you catch that? Yahweh wanted the EGYPTIANS to know His identity! God desires that the whole world (all nations) would know Him and trust Him for salvation! And He uses situations (that appear to be certain defeat to us) to shame the enemy. We must cling to 14:14:
"The Lord himself will fight for you. Just stay calm."
One such method that Yahweh fights for us as we obey Him is through baptism. Yahweh opens up a miraculous way for us to walk on "firm ground" through the waters of baptism, and He crushes Satan and his forces behind us. As we are faithful to obey, we will see Yahweh defeat the Enemy. And when we are thirsty in the desert, He makes the bitter water sweet. When the Cross of Christ is thrown into our bitter pool, He makes us into a new creation of clean water. (There is also a great picture of justification, sanctification, and glorification in the escape from Egypt, cleansing of the water, and residing at the 12 springs and 70 palms.) Consequently, we will rejoice:

1 ... "I will sing to the Lord,
for he has triumphed gloriously; ...

2 The Lord is my strength and my song;
he has given me victory.
This is my God, and I will praise him—
my father's God, and I will exalt him!
3 The Lord is a warrior;
Yahweh is his name! ...

6 "Your right hand, O LORD,
is glorious in power.
Your right hand, O LORD,
smashes the enemy.
7 In the greatness of your majesty,
you overthrow those who rise against you. ...

11 "Who is like you among the gods, O Lord
glorious in holiness,
awesome in splendor,
performing great wonders? ...

13 "With your unfailing love you lead
the people you have redeemed.
In your might, you guide them
to your sacred home.
14 The peoples hear and tremble; ...

17 You will bring them in and plant them on your own mountain—
the place, O Lord, reserved for your own dwelling,
the sanctuary, O Lord, that your hands have established.
18 The Lord will reign forever and ever!"


Prayer
Heavenly Father, you are so good! Your name is Yahweh, and you are perfect and mighty to save. Jesus, you are my salvation and my strength. You are my life supply. Thank you for your good work of changing me from bitter to sweet. May the nations hear of your great Name, and may they trust you for eternal and present salvation. I ask you this in the name of the Sweet Living Water, Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment