Tuesday, February 12, 2008

mourning

Exodus 30-32

While Moses was on the mountain receiving the Ten Commandments and a lot of additional extremely detailed instructions, the Israelites drifted away. There is an interesting conversation recorded between God and Moses. Basically, God says He's going to wipe them out and start over, and Moses argues, "But what will the rest of the world think?" First of all, I think it's crazy that Moses argued God out of destroying the Israelites, and second, I think it is interesting that God's fame among the nations was used as the leveraging point. I also think it's interesting that Aaron lied about manufacturing the golden calf - how stupid. Sadly, it's true to life. What's even more sad is that the Israelites had to experience punishment for them to mourn their misbehavior. Again, true to life. One of my former disciplers used to say that pain is the only way we humans learn. I think it's pretty true.

On the topic of pain, I learned this morning that my maternal Granddad passed away last night. I know he was a Christian, so I know that I will see him again in Heaven. It is comforting to know that he is not in pain any longer, which is an answer to prayer. I simply prayed that God's will would be done and that God would either heal him or take him Home. I now pray that God would be glorified in his funeral and that this opportunity would be seized to share the Gospel of Christ. It's amazing how we ask the really deep questions when we experience pain.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for my Granddad's life. Thank you for the example he was to me. Lord, thank you for answering my prayers for him. Thank you for the hope of seeing him again because we both have faith in Jesus Christ. Thank you for my friends and family who are praying for me during this time. Lord, help me. I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ, the one who is close by me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment