Monday, February 4, 2008

purpose and response

 
Why ignore the elephant in the room when it's screaming and everyone wants to talk about it?  This passage is tough to swallow, especially when Yahweh told Moses ahead of time that He was going to harden Pharaoh's heart (Ex. 4:21).  Why would Yahweh do something like that?  How could He?
 
These questions remind me of a few "potter and clay" verses sprinkled throughout the Scriptures (e.g., Isaiah 45:9, Romans 9:21).  Basically, we don't have the right to question Yahweh's motives or methods, but, fortunately for us, Yahweh answers our questions of "How?" and "Why?".
7:10 So Moses and Aaron went to Pharaoh and did what the Lord had commanded them. ... [They told Pharaoh what Yahweh told them to say, and they performed the miracles and signs that Yahweh told them to perform.]  13 Pharaoh's heart, however, remained hard. He still refused to listen, just as the Lord had predicted. 14 Then the Lord said to Moses, "Pharaoh's heart is stubborn, and he still refuses to let the people go.
We see that Pharaoh's heart was hardened by his refusal to believe and obey Yahweh.  After several plagues were unleashed on Egypt (and Pharaoh's heart was repeatedly hardened by disobedience), Exodus 9:16 and Romans 9:17 answer the "Why?" question:
Rom. 9:17 For the Scriptures say that God told Pharaoh, "I have appointed you for the very purpose of displaying my power in you and to spread my fame throughout the earth."
There are two types of responses to Yahweh's revelation, as illustrated by Pharaoh's officials' response to the prophecy of the plague of hail:
20 Those officials of Pharaoh who feared the word of the LORD hurried to bring their slaves and their livestock inside. 21 But those who ignored the word of the LORD left their slaves and livestock in the field.
(1) Fear Yahweh, believe Him, repent, and come inside the shelter of His covenant of Grace by Faith,
(2) or experience the brunt of His wrath
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I praise you for being in control of everything.  I praise you because your Name deserves fame.  Father, please use me to display your power and spread your fame throughout the earth.  I come to you humbly, recognizing my sin and need of a savior.  Jesus, thank you for shedding your blood for me; I want to come into the shelter of your love.  Please give me boldness to share your great love with those around me.  I pray this in the name of my Shelter, Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment