Thursday, February 7, 2008

Massah

 
These are some of my favorite pictures of Christ in the OT - manna and Massah.
16:17 So the people of Israel did as they were told. Some gathered a lot, some only a little. 18 But when they measured it out, everyone had just enough. Those who gathered a lot had nothing left over, and those who gathered only a little had enough. ...
Jesus is the Bread from Heaven (John 6), and we can find Him in the Word (John 1:1-16) every morning!  Simply believing into Jesus for eternal life is enough for salvation, but there is so much more Life in Christ - so much more that you can never have too much of Jesus!
17:5 The Lord said to Moses, "Walk out in front of the people. Take your staff, the one you used when you struck the water of the Nile, and call some of the elders of Israel to join you. 6 I will stand before you on the rock at Mount Sinai. Strike the rock, and water will come gushing out. Then the people will be able to drink." So Moses struck the rock as he was told, and water gushed out as the elders looked on. 7 Moses named the place Massah (which means "test") and Meribah (which means "arguing") because the people of Israel argued with Moses and tested the Lord by saying, "Is the Lord here with us or not?"
Jesus is the Rock of my Salvation and the Living Water that quenches my spiritual thirst!  It was because of our sin that the Rock was struck by the Cross of Calvary (Isaiah 53).  What is so tragic is that, as in Jesus's day, many religious people ask the question, "Is Yahweh here with us or not?"  I assure you, He is here!  His name is Immanuel!
 
life application 
Isn't it so true that no sooner does God demonstrate His power and divinely lead me, that at the next point of opposition I begin to grumble and wail.  "Oh me, Oh my. [whine], [sigh], [sniffle], [pout], Why don't you care about me, God?"  And in spite of my poor attitude of ungratefulness and contempt, God is still merciful to me.  Not only has the LORD opened up a door for me to be here in Austin studying something I've been interested in since High School, but He continually gives me Bread to eat and Water to drink to sustain me.  Moreover, He has given me so many opportunities to minister to people around me.
 
prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for the Bread and Water of the Lord Jesus Christ.  Thank you for being my Life supply.  Lord, I pray that I would not test you with stupid questions, but that I would be a bold example of the victorious Christian life, as I am faithful and obedient to your call and keep in step with the Holy Spirit.  Lord, Jesus, you are my all in all.  I am nothing without you!  I need you to save me from myself, sin, the Devil, and the world today!  You are my Rock, my shelter, my guard.  I pray that my life will glorify your Name. It is in your Holy Name, Jesus Christ, the only Name by which we may be saved that I pray.  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Your words remind me of a Hymn:
    "Savior, may I learn to love thee, Walk the path that thou hast shown, Pause to help and lift another, Finding strength beyond my own. Savior, may I learn to love thee--Lord, I would follow thee."
    Text: Susan Evans McCloud
    Music: K. Newell Dayley

    ReplyDelete