Friday, February 8, 2008

DTR

 
Having you read chapter 19 immediately before reading 20, I realized that the Ten Commandments are operational procedures corresponding to Yahweh's definition of the relationship (DTR) in 20:2 -
"I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery."
He is our savior!  He has rescued us from the clutches of slavery to sin and death!  It is out of this relationship that He requires us to live a specific way; verse 20:20 explains:
Moses said to the people, "Do not be afraid; for God has come in order to test you, and in order that the fear of Him may remain with you, so that you may not sin."
Oh, that I would have the fear of God in me!  How I wish I feared Him more!
 
In addition to containing the basis for our USA judicial principles, chapter 21 also contains another great picture of Christ:
5 But the slave may declare, 'I love my master, my wife, and my children. I don't want to go free.' 6 If he does this, his master must present him before God. Then his master must take him to the door or doorpost and publicly pierce his ear with an awl. After that, the slave will serve his master for life.
How does that relate to Christ?  Well, try this on for size:
 6 Though he was God,
      he did not think of equality with God
      as something to cling to.
 7 Instead, he gave up his divine privileges;
      he took the humble position of a slave
      and was born as a human being.
   When he appeared in human form,
 8 he humbled himself in obedience to God
      and died a criminal's death on a cross.
 9 Therefore, God elevated him to the place of highest honor
      and gave him the name above all other names,
 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
      in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
      to the glory of God the Father.
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I confess that Jesus Christ is Lord!  He is your servant who was pierced on the Cross! He is my Master and my Savior!  I want to give you glory.  I bow before you, and I want to humble myself before you.  Father, I beg you to instill in me a fear of You, that I would not dishonor your name and the Grace you have shown me in bringing me out of the house of slavery!  I praise you in the name of your Perfectly Obedient and Eternal Servant, Jesus Christ!  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment