Tuesday, April 17, 2007

fasting

 
I have always perceived the 40-day fast that Jesus observed before the recorded "Temptation" as a weakening process, but recently I have come to think that perhaps this 40-day fast was actually strengthening spiritually while only weakening physically.  The object of the fast, then, would be to get your priorities straight ( e.g., "the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak).  This ties in with the scripture that says that "without faith, we cannot please God."  So, if Jesus did it, and if it is spiritually profitable (to get our focus, to force the flesh to submit to the spirit, to increase our faith), then why don't Christians systematically fast?  What is the appropriate frequency and duration of a personal fast?  You hear pastors preach about consistently reading your Bible, praying, tithing, etc.; why don't pastors preach about fasting?  It seems as though fasting is intimately couple with prayer as I read the scriptures.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for your Word that is active in my heart.  I ask that you continue to convict me of sin and reveal to me ways that I can grow in faith.  Lord, I confess that I have a very poor understanding of fasting, and I ask that you guide me by the Holy Spirit to an accurate understanding and practice of fasting, so that you may be glorified in my submission to your Will and as I emulate Christ. I pray in the Name of Jesus.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment