Saturday, April 21, 2007

pray for salvation

 
As I have become more aware of the Arminianism versus Calvinism debate, I have wondered if it is of any use to pray for someone's salvation.  In the first extreme, it is entirely someone's choice, so there is nothing anyone can do about it besides that person.  In the second extreme, it is all up to God, and He has already made up His mind, so there is nothing anyone can do about it besides Him.  Today's scripture, however, teaches us to pray for all people - and the context suggests to pray regarding their salvation:
 
 1 I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them. 2 Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority so that we can live peaceful and quiet lives marked by godliness and dignity. 3 This is good and pleases God our Savior, 4 who wants everyone to be saved and to understand the truth. 5 For there is only one God and one Mediator who can reconcile God and humanity—the man Christ Jesus. 6 He gave his life to purchase freedom for everyone. This is the message God gave to the world at just the right time. (1 Timothy 2:1-6)
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I pray for people of all nations around the world - I pray that you will send Christians to share the Good News of Jesus Christ.  I pray that you will make people's hearts receptive to the Gospel message and that you will initiate Faith in their hearts.  I pray that you will bring into your Kingdom a wonderful harvest of souls through the missionaries that are faithfully sharing the story of Jesus Christ.  Lord, I know that it is only by your Grace that Jesus gave His life as a ransom to purchase our freedom.  I praise you for desiring that everyone be saved and understand the Truth of Jesus Christ.  It is in His name I pray.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment