Wednesday, April 11, 2007

life in the Light

 
My wife and I had a great visit with one of my friends and colleagues who invited us over for dinner last night.  We discussed what it means and how to have Faith in Jesus, along with some of the differences between a Christian's life and that of an unbeliever.  Dinner was wonderful, and the conversation was thoroughly deep with substantial breadth.  Not surprisingly, my scripture reading this morning ties in quite well (through no bias of my own, I'm sure).
 
Mark 14:60-62
60 Then the high priest stood up before the others and asked Jesus, "Well, aren't you going to answer these charges? What do you have to say for yourself?" 61 But Jesus was silent and made no reply. Then the high priest asked him, "Are you the Messiah, the Son of the Blessed One?" 62 Jesus said, "I A m. And you will see the Son of Man seated in the place of power at God's right hand and coming on the clouds of heaven."
 
Not only did Jesus answer the question by affirming that He was, in fact, the Messiah and the Son of God, but also wrapped up in His reply He told them in no uncertain terms, "I AM GOD!" (Ex. 3:14)
 
How, then, are we supposed to live by Faith in response to Christ's identity as the Messiah, Son of God, and Deity?  Well, I'm glad you asked, because several of the scriptures in Ephesians tell us plainly:
 
Ephesians 4:21-24
21 Since you have heard about Jesus and have learned the truth that comes from him, 22 throw off your old sinful nature and your former way of life, which is corrupted by lust and deception. 23 Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. 24 Put on your new nature, created to be like God—truly righteous and holy.
 
Ephesians 5:1-2, 15-20
1 Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are his dear children. 2 Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved us and offered himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God. ... 15 So be careful how you live. Don't live like fools, but like those who are wise. 16 Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days. 17 Don't act thoughtlessly, but understand what the Lord wants you to do. 18 Don't be drunk with wine, because that will ruin your life. Instead, be filled with the Holy Spirit, 19 singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, and making music to the Lord in your hearts. 20 And give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for sending Jesus, the God-Man, Messiah, Son of God to pay the price for my freedom.  I pray that I will live according to Jesus's example and walk in obedience to the Holy Spirit's direction.  Please help me be disciplined and discerning, aware of how I can make the most of every opportunity to glorify You.   I pray in the Name of Jesus. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment