Sunday, April 1, 2007

farmers

 
Proverbs 1:1-7 encourages me because God knows I need continuous help to learn to be like Him.
 
Mark 4 includes several of Jesus's parables:  (1) the story of the farmer scattering seed, (2) the illustration of the lamp, (3) the illustration of the growing seed, and (4) the illustration of the mustard seed.  Most of the time when I hear parables (1) and (3), the focus is on the seed and the soil, but today I was intrigued with the farmer.  As my wife and I are considering becoming missionaries, I am encouraged by the faithfulness of the farmer to spread the seed (the Gospel).  The farmer invests his life in planting, cultivating, and harvesting.  I want my life to count like that.
 
I was also encouraged by several verses in 2 Corinthians -
 
3:18 So all of us who have had that veil removed can see and reflect the glory of the Lord. And the Lord—who is the Spirit—makes us more and more like him as we are changed into his glorious image.
 
4:5 You see, we don't go around preaching about ourselves. We preach that Jesus Christ is Lord, and we ourselves are your servants for Jesus' sake. 6 For God, who said, "Let there be light in the darkness," has made this light shine in our hearts so we could know the glory of God that is seen in the face of Jesus Christ.  7 We now have this light shining in our hearts, but we ourselves are like fragile clay jars containing this great treasure. This makes it clear that our great power is from God, not from ourselves.   8 We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed. We are perplexed, but not driven to despair. 9 We are hunted down, but never abandoned by God. We get knocked down, but we are not destroyed. 10 Through suffering, our bodies continue to share in the death of Jesus so that the life of Jesus may also be seen in our bodies.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, please give me boldness to share the Gospel.  Help me be faithful to plant, cultivate, and harvest according to your Will.  Please help others see the Light of Life in me.  Please help me walk according to the Spirit's leadership and know that as I experience difficulties, it is so that you may be glorified.  I pray in Jesus's name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment