Thursday, April 5, 2007

boasting

 
Jeremiah 9:23-24 ties in well with the theme of 2 Cor. 11-12:
 23 This is what the Lord says:
   "Don't let the wise boast in their wisdom,
      or the powerful boast in their power,
      or the rich boast in their riches.
 24 But those who wish to boast
      should boast in this alone:
   that they truly know me and understand that I am the L ord
      who demonstrates unfailing love
      and who brings justice and righteousness to the earth,
   and that I delight in these things.
      I, the Lord , have spoken!
 
Here are a couple of related verses:
2 Cor. 11:30 - If I must boast, I would rather boast about the things that show how weak I am.
2 Cor. 12:5-10
 5 ... I will boast only about my weaknesses. 6 If I wanted to boast, I would be no fool in doing so, because I would be telling the truth. But I won't do it, because I don't want anyone to give me credit beyond what they can see in my life or hear in my message, 7 even though I have received such wonderful revelations from God. So to keep me from becoming proud, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from becoming proud.   8 Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. 9 Each time he said, "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. 10 That's why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, help me glorify your name only!  You are the only one worthy of praise and honor.  Please help me see you more clearly so that I will be overwhelmed by how great you are and how small I am.  Help me see that you are the only thing worth boasting about.  Help me trust you when I am suffering for Christ; help me see that your grace is all I need.  I pray that you will get all the glory from my life.  I pray in the Name of Jesus.  Amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment