Thursday, March 20, 2008

alien, fatherless, and widow

Deuteronomy 23-26
24:19 When you are harvesting in your field and you overlook a sheaf, do not go back to get it. Leave it for the alien, the fatherless and the widow, so that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands. 20 When you beat the olives from your trees, do not go over the branches a second time. Leave what remains for the alien, the fatherless and the widow. 21 When you harvest the grapes in your vineyard, do not go over the vines again. Leave what remains for the alien, the fatherless and the widow. 22 Remember that you were slaves in Egypt. That is why I command you to do this.
Third Day has a song called Alien on their Conspiracy No. 5 album based on this concept. "I am just like the alien, the fatherless, and the widow ..." It is humbling to think about how we are helpless without Christ. We can't do anything right without grace.

Last night we went to visit a couple that has been to our church a few times. They were very receptive to us, and after Pastor shared the Gospel with them, they both prayed to trust Christ for Salvation! It is so amazing to see how God is working and moving in their lives! I look forward to them getting involved in our Bible Life group.

Then, after that, I had a good chat with my Brother Kyle. I am really impressed with his spiritual insight and desire to serve Christ in our local congregation. One of the things we talked about was how we as Christians still get so obsessed with rules and regulations instead of the heart of the matter. This resonates with the following verses:
26:16 The LORD your God commands you this day to follow these decrees and laws; carefully observe them with all your heart and with all your soul. 17 You have declared this day that the LORD is your God and that you will walk in his ways, that you will keep his decrees, commands and laws, and that you will obey him. 18 And the LORD has declared this day that you are his people, his treasured possession as he promised, and that you are to keep all his commands. 19 He has declared that he will set you in praise, fame and honor high above all the nations he has made and that you will be a people holy to the LORD your God, as he promised.
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I want to love you with the core of my being. Father, I want to live in humble recognition of how you have saved me and rescued me from a painful life without you. Your love is so amazing! God, I pray that you will be even more real to me this weekend as we celebrate the death and resurrection of Christ. Oh, may I keep your commands with all my heart and should. I want to live a life that is holy to you. I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment