Monday, March 3, 2008

manna vs. quail

 
There are several good stories in these chapters, but the one that really spoke to me this morning is about manna.  What's cool is that before I started reading my Bible this morning, I was praying that God would make His Word come alive in my heart.  I was thinking about the fact that Christ is the Word, and Christ is the true bread from heaven.  I was thinking about how the Israelites gathered bread each and every day, morning and evening - that must be a picture of how the Christian should read the Scriptures morning and evening.  I was thinking about all of these things, and then I sat down and read a passage about manna.  How cool is that?!
 
Some of the jokers who were with the Israelites began to grumble about not having all kinds of nice food to eat, stuff they had lots of back in Egypt.  These jokers ended up stirring up a whole bunch of people to be uncontent with the manna that God was providing miraculously.  So, God turned them over to their desires, and he made them eat quail for a month - until they puked it out their nose.  This is a great picture of the tension between the flesh and the spirit.  We must allow the Holy Spirit to lead us to the place where our spirit prevails in choosing Christ over the sinful things this world offers - every single day.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, lead me to desire Christ over anything else.  Jesus, I want to consume you every morning and evening - all day long.  Help me seek you and turn my back on the things of this world.  Lord, purify me.  I ask this in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment