Wednesday, March 19, 2008

generational covenant

 
19:8 "And if the Lord your God enlarges your territory, as he swore to your ancestors, and gives you all the land he promised them, 9 ... (He will give you this land if you are careful to obey all the commands I have given you—if you always love the Lord your God and walk in his ways.)
 
It is interesting that God honors His covenant with the decendents of the one with whom He orginally made the covenant. 
 
I discussed this concept with a Believer friend (Harry) as we were walking with from the bus drop to the engineering buildings this morning.  He believes that this concept applies to the NT Believers as well, and he considers this concept one of the strong supports for infant baptism.  While I don't agree with the doctrine of infant baptism because I don't see any NT examples of it, I can certainly understand his perspective based on God's interactions with the people and nation of Israel.
 
I also mentioned that I thought it was tragic when parents say something like, "Well, I don't want to indoctrinate my child's religious perspective.  I want them to be an individual and decide what's true for themselves."  Harry said, "They are indoctrinating them with relativism." 
 
There are so many imperatives in the Bible of teaching your children the Way!  This is something I resolve to do: to try to teach my children from a very early age to autonomously love God with all of their heart, soul, mind, and strength.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I know that you operate generationally because I've seen it demonstrated in my life and the lives of my parents.  God, I pray that you will bless me by allowing me to train my children to love you with every part of their existence.  God, I want to carry the torch of Faith to my children in such a way that they may continue to share the Truth of Christ with their children.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment