Tuesday, March 4, 2008

contempt

 
The word of the day is contempt:
 Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) -
con·tempt      [kuhn-tempt]
–noun
1. the feeling with which a person regards anything considered mean, vile, or worthless; disdain; scorn.
2. the state of being despised; dishonor; disgrace.
3. Law.
a. willful disobedience to or open disrespect for the rules or orders of a court (contempt of court) or legislative body.
b. an act showing such disrespect.
That is exactly how the Israelites treated Yahweh!  He delivers them from slavery in Egypt through miraculous plagues, rescues them from Pharaoh's army through a miraculous passage through the Red Sea, miraculously provides for their physical needs of food and water as they travel through the desert, spares them of their disobedience with the whole Golden calf thing, brings them right up to the edge of the Promise Land so they can peek inside and see how good it is, AND THEY TREAT HIM WITH CONTEMPT.  (in a whiney voice...) "We can't go in there, we're to small.  Why didn't we just die in the desert.  I wish we were back in Egypt as slaves."  Can you believe they said that?!!!
 
I can.  It's stupid, but I treat God with contempt every time I sin.  Everytime I think something bad about someone, everytime I look at a woman in a way I shouldn't, everytime I think I'm better than someone else - it's all contempt.  l am humbled by this clear picture of how fickle we humans are.  God saved us!  He rescued us from the enemy that wants to steal, kill, and destroy, but so often we chicken out when we see what God has for us, because we don't rely on Him.  How lame.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, please forgive me of treating you with contempt.  God, I want to honor you.  Lord, I pray that you will enable me to obey you and trust you.  Lord, please take me to the Promise Land, and may I trust you to defeat the enemy.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment