Monday, June 30, 2008

deity of Christ

7:14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.
 
9:6 For to us a child is born,
       to us a son is given,
       and the government will be on his shoulders.
       And he will be called
       Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
       Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. 
   7 Of the increase of his government and peace
       there will be no end.
       He will reign on David's throne
       and over his kingdom,
       establishing and upholding it
       with justice and righteousness
       from that time on and forever.
       The zeal of the LORD Almighty
       will accomplish this
The tri-unity of the Godhead, and the full deity of Christ in particular, are shown in these passages.  It is obvious that these verses are speaking of Christ, and the names of Immanuel, Wonderful CounselorPrince of Peace are very meaningful, but ascribing to Christ the names of Mighty God and Everlasting Father expose part of the unity in identity of the Son and the Father.
Deuteronomy 6:4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one.
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I praise you for the prophecy of your Son that reveals part of your mysterious unity.  I praise you that you are so supreme that I can not understand you.  I thank you that you are patient with me and reveal yourself to me so that I can try to understand you.  Lord, I pray that I would live in wonder and amazement of who you are.  I pray that you will be glorified in my life.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

2 comments:

  1. That's just some of what we know. I'd like to travel back in time (if it is ever possible in my lifetime) to this moment in scripture:
    Luke 24:27. To give a hint, this is where Jesus reveals Himself as Christ to the Disciples in the Old Testament (scriptures) beginning with Moses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 27And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself.

    It would have been sweet to be there. Let's be sure to ask for the instant-replay when we get to Heaven.

    ReplyDelete