Wednesday, March 4, 2009

better than life

Psalm 63, Proverbs 4

These verses from Psalms are a part of my memory collection, and I pray that they become more and more true:

 1 O God, you are my God;
      I earnestly search for you.
   My soul thirsts for you;
      my whole body longs for you
   in this parched and weary land
      where there is no water.
 2 I have seen you in your sanctuary
      and gazed upon your power and glory.
 3 Your unfailing love is better than life itself;
      how I praise you!

The next verse is important this morning because we will study the Lord's Model Prayer on Sunday, and I feel like this gives insight into what prayer is - communion with God:

 4 I will praise you as long as I live,
      lifting up my hands to you in prayer.

But the verses that really convict me this morning are these:

 5 You satisfy me more than the richest feast.
      I will praise you with songs of joy.
 6 I lie awake thinking of you,
      meditating on you through the night.

Do I really find in Him my ultimate satisfaction - better than food?  Do I constantly praise Him with songs of genuine joy, or am I just the "obedient" older son of the Christ's parable?  Am I so totally in love with God that I stay awake at night thinking of how glorious He is?

Prayer
Heavenly Father, I love you, but I want to love you more.  I need to love you more.  You love me with a crazy love, an obscene love, and I pray that my love for you will reflect your love.  Dear Father, you are so kind and good; may I contemplate your goodness.  I pray that you will put songs of joy inside me.  May I glorify your name among the nations.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment