Tuesday, March 24, 2009

pregnancy analogy

Psalm 83, Proverbs 24

As we have been progressing through the pregnancy, I have been thinking about analogies between pregnancy and our spiritual experience.  As Brandi was tracking her temperature each morning with a precise thermometer, she was able to observe the "implantation dip" in temperature that occurs as the embryo implants into the wall of the uterus.  I thought of an analogy where a person without Faith is like an unfertilized egg, but the moment of faith is like fertilization by the Holy Spirit - the moment of spiritual conception.  Then, as new baby in Christ is incorporated (implanted) into the Body of Christ (i.e., the Church), the "embryo" receives nourishment and growth.  This analogy emphasizes the necessity of getting new Christians "plugged in" to the local church so that they can begin to develop their appendages (spiritual gifts) and grow in the likeness of their Father and Mother (our Heavenly Father and Christ, respectively).  As the growth (sanctification) nears completion, the child is birthed into the Reality of Light (glorification in eternity).

Disclaimer:  I know that Jesus gave a spiritual analogy to birth in John 3, so I know that some of this analogy could be considered heresy.

Heavenly Father, thank you for the gift of life, and thank you for breathing your spiritual life into us.  Lord, please continue to grow me me in the functions and gifts that you have for me within the Body of Christ.  May your name be praised, and may I live with hope for that future day of revealed glory.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment