Monday, September 21, 2009

abiding

John 15, Ephesians 4

The inefficiency of Mondays (because of all of the menial beginning-of-the-week tasks) drives me crazy.  Brandi noticed that something was wrong this morning and called me on it.  It's just so hard for me to be abiding in Christ and full of joy when I feel like such a large fraction of my week (especially Mondays) is consumed by fruitless activities (e.g., laundry, dishes, haircut, shaving, etc.).  That, coupled with chronic sleep deprivation makes it very challenging to focus on Christ.  As I was considering John 15, I was challenged by verse 11:

11 I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow!

Of course, the whole context up to verse 11 is abiding in Christ.  So as I was walking Sam this morning, I confessed to the Lord this morning that I had a bad attitude and asked Him to fix it.  As I was walking from my pickup to the bus, the question I came to is, "Am I bogged down with stuff that doesn't matter, and I need to change my lifestyle? Or is this simply what it means to be a "living sacrifice" so I just need to learn how to be joyful.

Heavenly Father, please help me.  I am so tired, and I am frustrated by business.  I want to abide in Christ, and I want to know that you are producing fruit in me because I sure don't want to be removed from the vine!  Lord, please be gracious with me and lead me to walk with you in an overflow of joy.  I love you, Lord.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, my life-supply.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment