Friday, September 11, 2009

religiosity

John 5, 2 Corinthians 13

Jesus healed a guy that was lame for 38 years on the Sabbath.  If the Jewish leaders had been in tune with God and thinking about any of the key verses in the prophets (e.g., Isaiah 43 or 61, Hosea 6:6, or Micah 6:6-8) then they would have been overjoyed at Christ's miracles.  Instead, they were upset with Jesus for breaking the "rules" and claiming to be equal with God.  Jesus confronted them about their lifeless legality:

J 5:39 "You search the Scriptures because you think they give you eternal life. But the Scriptures point to me! 40 Yet you refuse to come to me to receive this life.

The church in Corinth had some similar issues.  Paul challenged them with this:

2 Cor 13:5 Examine yourselves to see if your faith is genuine. Test yourselves. Surely you know that Jesus Christ is among you; if not, you have failed the test of genuine faith.

The test is in our living.  Do we have the life of Jesus Christ at work in us?  Do we see the Fruit of His Spirit?

I am reading Fresh Wind Fresh Fire, and Jim Cymbala says that preaching sound doctrine is not enough.  We need the filling and anointing of the Holy Spirit, and that follows humble prayer.

Heavenly Father, please forgive me for getting caught in the ritual of religious routine.  I want to know Christ and see the Holy Spirit at work in my life.  Lord, will you please draw me closer to you and help me lead others to know you and obey you.  Lord, please fill me with your spirit and ignite our congregation to serve you in love.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment