Tuesday, September 15, 2009

sight and freedom

John 9, Galatians 4

I asked my Brother David this morning about the disciples asking Jesus about the man being born blind (because of his sin or his parents' sin) was acknowledgment of a person being born sinful.  He responded that he didn't think it was wise to build theology (one way or the other) on the questions that people asked Jesus.  It is more appropriate to construct our theology on Christ's response to those questions.

Because of a recent conversation with my friend Herb, I noticed the demonstration of the deity of Christ in this story:

J 9:31 We know that God doesn't listen to sinners, but he is ready to hear those who worship him and do his will. ... 38 "Yes, Lord, I believe!" the man said. And he worshiped Jesus.

Ergo, Jesus is God.

The simplicity of the response of the seeing-man-born-blind challenges me every time I read it:

J:925 ... "But I know this: I was blind, and now I can see!"

All we have to do is be a witness of the change that He has accomplished in our lives.  And if there isn't a notable change to speak of, then one should question whether he/she has truly encountered the Holy and Almighty Living God.

This passage amazes me:

G 4:4 But when the right time came, God sent his Son, born of a woman, subject to the law. 5 God sent him to buy freedom for us who were slaves to the law, so that he could adopt us as his very own children. 6 And because we are his children, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, prompting us to call out, "Abba, Father." 7
Now you are no longer a slave but God's own child. And since you are his child, God has made you his heir.

Heavenly Father, I am a sinful man that you have saved by your grace and mercy.  Lord, thank you for purchasing my freedom with the death of Christ, and for giving me sight to see Him and faith to believe in Him.  Lord, please teach me what it means to be your heir.  And may I be faithful to be a witness of the sight you have given me.  Praise the Lord because He is good.  His love endures forever.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.  amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment