Thursday, September 24, 2009

stick to your guns

John 18, Philippians 1

Jesus was double-betrayed.  Judas sold out, and Peter chickened out.

Conversely, Paul toughed it out.  And he challenges us to keep fighting:

P 1:9 I pray that your love will overflow more and more, and that you will keep on growing in knowledge and understanding. 10 For I want you to understand what really matters, so that you may live pure and blameless lives until the day of Christ's return. 11 May you always be filled with the fruit of your salvation—the righteous character produced in your life by Jesus Christ—for this will bring much glory and praise to God. ... 20 For I fully expect and hope that I will never be ashamed, but that I will continue to be bold for Christ, as I have been in the past. And I trust that my life will bring honor to Christ, whether I live or die. 21 For to me, living means living for Christ, and dying is even better. ...  27 Above all, you must live as citizens of heaven, conducting yourselves in a manner worthy of the Good News about Christ. Then, whether I come and see you again or only hear about you, I will know that you are standing together with one spirit and one purpose, fighting together for the faith, which is the Good News. 28 Don't be intimidated in any way by your enemies. This will be a sign to them that they are going to be destroyed, but that you are going to be saved, even by God himself. 29 For you have been given not only the privilege of trusting in Christ but also the privilege of suffering for him. 30 We are in this struggle together. You have seen my struggle in the past, and you know that I am still in the midst of it.

This struggle is not tactical machine warfare; it is hand-to-hand combat.

Heavenly Father, your Word promises that you began a good work in me, and you will carry it on to completion.  Lord, please give me grace to walk in a way that will never bring shame to you.  And please give me grace to keep on fighting the evil forces against us. I trust Jesus for the victory, and it is in his name that I pray.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment